Saturday, July 19, 2008

Thoughts on Halo by Machine Head

Listening to Halo from Machine Head's album The Blackening, I must say I really like the song. The riffs are awesome and the solos are just face melting. But when I read the lyrics, I realised that I can't agree with the song. Basically it's an antisemetic song about how in America Christians are living life while blindly following the teachings of the bible and also about how abortion in America is getting so much opposition by the Christian community which might signify the general disdain of Christian ideas and how those ideas are being spread in the United States.

Now I'm a Christian but I can somehow understand where this song is coming from. Some Christians, especially the ones that we see getting a lot of attention on American media for protesting and stuff, are just not doing it the right way, in my opinion at least. The Christian message is a message of love and redemption. But when we sometimes look at Christians and how they spread the gospel, they do it with no compassion at all. How can you tell someone that they'd go to Hell if they don't believe in Jesus, or any God for the matter. To me, these people are like people sitting on their high horses, thinking that they are better than others just because they are Christians. They fail to understand that we Christians are no different from people of other faiths. We are all sinners. The only difference is that we believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins and now we don't bear the burdens of sin alone, and that's a good thing that we want to share with the people around us. That's all there is to Christianity.

Now I understand that not everyone would agree with what I said, but I guess if it was that easy to agree and get along, the world would be a better place. I don't know if I articulated what I actually wanted to get across correctly. If you are a Christian and agree or disagree with my views, do comment. If you are not, and probably don't understand what I wrote, or have any queries about Christianity in general, feel free to just leave a comment. I will try my very best to answer your questions.

Sigh... In the end, I feel like I just spewed out nonsensical blabber.


Here's the video if you want to listen to it. Though I begin to wonder how many people actually watch the videos I post on my blog. And if you actually care, this video isn't the whole song. They cut out the harmonized solo part, which is the best part in my opinion.


Live version. Disclaimer: I do not agree with drugs and substance abuse.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said. no comments though. dont really know what happens in US

magmachilli said...

well said as in...?

Anonymous said...

hey jonathan :)
Well i agree with you =) some people hav good intentions to spread the good news but probably don know how to do it the right way that it doesnt offend other people.

Its cool you highlighting tis =) brings awareness..even to myself.
But i guess basically the way you conduct yourself daily is already a good testimonial if you're living a fruitful life..people will notice it =)

Anyways cheers.. talk to u some time ..and if ur free frm anu meet me uppp!!! im moving to randwick soon. and honestly uve been rly rly nice to me since i met you..and i appreciate that alot. Thanks =)

Anonymous said...

ow crap i jz realised i called you jonathan >< sry i was talking to a jonathan on msn while leaving you this comment on your blog.

Okay Joshua... =P Sorry.

magmachilli said...

Haha. Well you're forgiven miss Claire.

You're a Christian too? Haha so you planning to go to Hillsong or something? And yeah the easiest and most simple way is to live a life that can serve as a testimony.

Well I hope you manage to adapt to uni life and life in Sydney. And I'm glad that I could be of help. I'm sure you're probably saying out of courtesy cos I think I didn't really help much. But if I really did help, it was my pleasure...