Monday, February 11, 2008

Gong Xi Fa Cai 2008

I suppose I'm in some sense obliged to do a CNY post so here it goes.

Been reading some blogs and many people complain about how there's nothing to do when you're back in your hometown. There's no internet connection for some, while others are left to do nothing but sit eat and watch TV, me being one of them. Thank God for Astro too.

However one has to remember that how important the Chinese New Year should be. It's the only time that all our relatives can conveniently meet up and just get to know each other. To be able to just sit down and have a meal together is a luxury. Many of our mainland brethren are unable to go back to their hometowns this year. Many of our friends studying overseas would be too busy to celebrate the new year. For us, those living in Asian countries should delight in the fact that we have a holiday for Chinese New Year!

And be thankful if your grandparents are still alive and well and able to celebrate the new year together. Just to be able to receive that red packet from them, regardless of how little or how much they give you, is a blessing already. I really wish that my grandparents on my dad's side of the family are still alive. All I can do know is hear the stories that my aunts and uncles and my dad have to tell me about them. And not just your grandparents, but all your relatives. Be thankful that they're alive for you'd never know when their time comes to an end.

I don't want to be naggy, or at least to be more naggy than I already seem to be, so I shall end this issue of Jo's ramblings. Just want to wish all the people of the world a Happy Lunar New Year and may the new year mark the dawning of a hope and a future that would bring happiness and joy in your life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy CNY to u too!!